Week 11 – April 10, 2017
The Role of Attorneys General on Immigration and Diversity
Syllabus: The Role of the State Attorney General
Statistics on Immigration
- Jie Zong and Jeanne Batalova, Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States, Migration Policy Institute (Feb. 26, 2015)
- Ana Gonzalez-Barrera, More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S., Pew Research Center, Nov. 19, 2015
- Press Release, New York Office of the Attorney General, G. Schneiderman Files Civil Rights Lawsuit Against Utica City School District Regarding Enrollment Barriers Face by Immigrant and Refugee Students (Nov. 18, 2015).
- Hansi Lo Wang, Refugees Say N.Y. School District Blocked Them From Going To High School, NPR (March 1, 2016)
- Press Release: "AG Schneiderman and Education Commissioner Advise Schools on Protecting Immigrant Students," New York State Department of Education
- Avi Selk, "The Texas AG Sued to keep a Bible Quote in school, Now he is troubled by Muslim prayers," The Washington Post, March 19, 2017
National Immigration Policy and Executive Actions
- Maureen Hayden, Six years in, Greg Zoeller juggles conflicting roles, News and Tribune (Indiana), (December 22, 2014).
- Ana Ley, Lawsuit over Obama immigration action divides Sandoval, Laxalt, Las Vegas Sun (Jan. 26, 2015).
- Press Release, California Office of the Attorney General, Attorney General Kamala D. Harris Convenes Immigration Advocates, Law Firms to Provide Legal Support to Children Seeking Refuge in the U.S (Dec. 16, 2015).
Consumer Protection – Immigration Services Fraud
- Press Release, Washington Attorney General's Office, AG Announces Sweep to Crack Down on Illegal Immigration Assistance (August 19, 2015); Spanish Press Release, El Procurador General anuncia barrido para acabar con la asistencia ilegal a la inmigración
- Press Release, Massachusetts Attorney General's Office, Roslindale Grocery Store Cited $300,000 for Failing to Pay Overtime and Sunday Wages, Hindering Investigation (Sept.18, 2015).
- Press Release, Illinois Attorney General's Office, Madigan Lawsuit Alleges Immigrant Worker Abuse by Employment Agencies and Chinese Buffet Restaurants (Nov. 13, 2015)
- Michael Addady, A Papa John's Owner is Going to Jail, FORTUNE (Nov. 26, 2015).
- "AG's Issue Urgent Fraud Alert on ICE Immigration Scams," Madison County Courier, Feb. 19, 2017
Resettlement of Syrian Refugees
- Resettlement of Syrian refugees in Georgia, Ga. Att'y Gen. Official Opinion No. 2015-1 (Dec. 2015).
- Stepahnie Wang, "Judge Sharply Questions Defense of Indiana's Syrian Refugee Ban," Indy Star, Sept. 15, 2016