Week 11 – April 8, 2019
The Role of Attorneys General on Immigration and Diversity
Syllabus: The Role of the State Attorney General
In addition to their challenges to the immigration policies of Presidents Obama and Trump, Attorneys General on both sides of the aisle are involved in numerous issues affecting immigration and diversity. For the discussion of emergency declaration and “the wall,” additional instructions will be provided by email prior to class.
Note: Links open in this window/tab. Use your browser’s “back” button to return to the syllabus.
Statistics on Immigration
- Jie Zong, Jeanne Batalova and Jeffrey Hallock, Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States, Migration Policy Institute (Feb. 8, 2018)
- Pew Research Center,U.S. unauthorized immigrant population estimates by state, 2016(Feb. 5, 2019)
National Immigration Policy and Attorney General Reaction
- Maureen Hayden, Six years in, Greg Zoeller juggles conflicting roles, News and Tribune (Indiana) (Dec. 22, 2014)
- Georgia Attorney General Opinion on Syrian Refugees (Dec. 30, 2015)
- Stephanie Wang,Judge sharply questions defense of Indiana's Syrian refugee ban, IndyStar (Sept. 16, 2016)
- Texas Attorney General Letter to U.S. Attorney General on DACA (June 29, 2017) (supplemental reading)
- California Attorney General Letter to President on DACA (July 21, 2017) (supplemental reading)
Immigrant Consumer Protection and Education
- New York Office of the Attorney General, AG Schneiderman Files Civil Rights Lawsuit Against Utica City School District Regarding Enrollment Barriers Face by Immigrant and Refugee Students (Nov. 18, 2015).
- Attorney General and Education Commissioner Advise Schools on Protecting Immigrant Students, New York State Department of Education (2016)
- Massachusetts Attorney General's Office, Roslindale Grocery Store Cited $300,000 for Failing to Pay Overtime and Sunday Wages, Hindering Investigation (Sept.18, 2015).
- Illinois Attorney General's Office, Madigan Lawsuit Alleges Immigrant Worker Abuse by Employment Agencies and Chinese Buffet Restaurants (Nov. 13, 2015)
- Washington Attorney General's Office, AG Announces Sweep to Crack Down on Illegal Immigration Assistance (Aug. 19, 2015) (supplemental reading)
- AG's Issue Urgent Fraud Alert on ICE Immigration Scams, Madison County Courier (Feb. 19, 2017) (supplemental reading)
Sanctuary Cities and Immigration Enforcement
- 8 U.S.C § 1373
- Executive Order 13768 (Jan. 25, 2017)
- Emma Platoff,AG Ken Paxton sues San Antonio(Nov.30, 2018)
- New York Attorney General,Guidance Concerning Local Authority Participation in Immigration Enforcement and Model Sanctuary Provisions(March 2017) (supplemental reading)
Emergency Declaration and "The Wall"
- Presidential Proclamation Declaring National Emergency (Feb. 15, 2019) (supplemental reading)
- California Complaint on National Emergency (Feb. 18, 2019) (supplemental reading)
- Sierra Club Complaint on National Emergency (Feb. 19, 2019) (supplemental reading)
- Landowner Complaint on National Emergency (Feb. 15, 2019) (supplemental reading)
- Statement by Attorney General Josh Shapiro (Feb. 18, 2019) (supplemental reading)
- State Attorneys General,Donald Trump's national emergency declaration is constitutional, USA Today (March 14, 2019) (supplemental reading)